by Jacob Grossman (’22)

On Twitter, Ms. Richwine stated, “This semester wasn’t all the Wake Washington students hoped for and dreamed about.” I want to start by saying that is completely false. Even without the pandemic, this semester has far exceeded any expectations I could have had. Friday, I got to tour the White House, stand in the blue room and exit through the South Portico. After exiting, I promptly got on the metro and went to the Pentagon where I participated in two important meetings. How many students can say they went from the White House to the Pentagon? Probably not many. I consider myself lucky to have been in this program that has provided me with these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, so I just want to make it clear that this semester far exceeded my hopes and dreams.

This week, work started to pick back up. The NDAA conference began and the Big 4 met to reconcile House and Senate differences. It was amazing to see firsthand what the legislative process looks like, and it was even better to have an active part in the process. I also got to address and pack a bunch of letters out to members of Congress. It was so cool to think that letters I am sending out, people like Pelosi and McConnell will read, even if I had no part in writing the letters.

Work has started to give me a dilemma – I really like doing legislative affairs and learning about so many different topics, but I know that there is no job stability. Being a contractor does not provide a lot of room for upward mobility, and so I would want to be a political appointee, which means no stability. This is the choice that many of my colleagues face, and I will ask them why they made the decision and how they think about getting jobs every four to eight years. Based on their answers, I may be inclined to look into new career paths.

Going to the White House was one of the best experiences of my life. I have always been fascinated by the history of the White House, so going around and actually seeing it in person was amazing. I also got some great pictures that I can use for my campaign in 2044! I was hoping that Trump would stop by the tour, just so I could say I saw the president. I even tweeted at him (the easiest way to reach him!!), but he did not respond. Nevertheless, it was still a great experience.

As a final hoorah, Duncan, Sean, and I went ice skating in Pentagon City. It was fun to skate outside, something I cannot do in Florida or North Carolina. While skating, we talked about all of the great memories and connections we have made through this program. Everyone agreed that this semester was perfect, and that we would change nothing. The growing-up we all did through this program was incredible, and for that I have Ms. Richwine and the Wake Washington program to credit.

As my friends are starting to head home from Wake and I hear their on-campus stories, I realize how lucky I am. I got to be in a great city, with a great internship, and have made tons of great friends. I am thankful that I decided to stay in the program, uncertain of what it may look like. While my time in DC is ending, I know that the departure is only temporary. DC has embraced me and allowed me to live out some of my most ambitious goals, and I cannot wait to see what it has in store for me on the next go around.